By Ryan McBee
1) The 2011 payroll year end release is available only for Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 and Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010.
2) Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 is an EXE file; Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 is an MSP file.
3) All MSP and EXE files are cumulative.
4) All prior service packs, hotfixes, compliance, and year end updates are included in the most recent release. For example, Service Pack 2 is included in the most recent update for Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010.
5) The update must be installed at all servers and workstations that have a Microsoft Dynamics GP installation otherwise a version error will occur.
Pre-Install Upgrade Tips
1) Backup the DYNAMICS database and all company databases
2) Export all modified reports and forms to package files (Microsoft Dynamics GP | Tools | Customize | Customization Maintenance)
3) Back up the modified reports and forms .DIC files. Refer to the Dynamics.set file for the path to the modified .DIC files.
4) Configure a test environment to test the upgrade prior to installing in the live environment.
Install and Upgrade Tips
1) The user running the update must have local admin rights
2) Two components to the first update installation:
- Upgrade application install
- Upgrade DYNAMICS and all company databases in Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities
3) Typically, the update is installed at the SQL Server first to upgrade the databases in Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities.
4) Verify the Microsoft Dynamics GP Installation used to upgrade the databases includes all additional product installations. Such as Extender, SmartList Builder, Safe Pay or any of the other additional products that comes with the installation media.
5) If the installation of the MSP or EXE fails, refer to the Windows Installer Log or Windows Event View for more information. Refer to KB 2545723 for steps to create a Windows Installer Log.
6) After opening the Windows Installer Log, search for the “Return Value 3”.
7) If the installation of the MSP or EXE fails, try installing via the command line. Refer to KB 912997 #13 for steps.
8) Enable a Dexsql.log prior to upgrading the databases in Utilities. Refer to KB 850996 for steps.
9) If the database upgrade fails, do not restore the databases as all troubleshooting can take place at the point of failure.
10) If the red X appears next to the company name in the Update Company window, the table conversion failed. Refer to the Support Information Section of the Upgrade Hot Topic for troubleshooting steps.
- Click here to access Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 Upgrade Hot Topic
- Click here to access Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0 Upgrade Hot Topic
11) All modified reports and form dictionaries must be upgraded using the Update Modified Forms and Reports process at the Additional Tasks window in Microsoft Dynamics GP Utilities.
12) If all modified reports and form dictionaries are shared, only upgrade the dictionaries once.
13) The MSP file can be pushed out to the client workstations using Automatic Client Update, Group Policy or other mass deployment tools.
Post-Install & Upgrade Tips
1) Backup the DYNAMICS database and all company databases following the upgrade.
2) Export all modified reports and forms to package files following the upgrade (Microsoft Dynamics GP | Tools| Customize| Customization Maintenance).